Friday 25 September 2009

The pit viper


Ute's been in the shop for a while, up in Blyton getting fitted for gas.
I had a late epiphany suggesting I should pollute less and drive around for about half the price of petrol.
So I made inquiries of a nice man in a garage up there with "LPG Conversions" prominently displayed above his automotive establishment.
Yep, he could do it, but I'd have to give up either the spare wheel under the tray or some tray space.
My choice.
Downside, I'd missed the WA rebate of $2000 by a couple of months, but the Fed rebate of $1750 was still on offer and would go down to much less over the coming months.

This is a hard thing to work out: are they trying to discourage us from converting to a cleaner cheaper fuel?
At least they could waive the $480-ish GST and the $60 for the inspection -- see below.

Still the nettle was bitten and the bullet grasped.
Three days later, I take the bus up to Blyton to pick it up.
Big tank in the back, covered by a kind of aluminium box on two sides, top and front.
Hinges up for easy access.
Looked fine to me.

Then the paperwork.
One set of papers for the Fed rebate that I had to have signed by a JP.
Whom I eventually found in one of the more salubrious parts of Blyton, if it can be said to have any.
Pleasant chap, ex RAAF and big into volunteer fire fighting.
He'd heard of Minjup and even knew some people that I know.

Second set of papers for the pit inspection.
So off I go into the smoke to the Inspection Centre, pay my $60 and get an appointment for the next day at 13:45.
Luckily this coincided with my Community Service driving, so not a great loss.

Then yesterday, back again -- the gas tank still full after all this buggerising about -- for the inspection proper.
In the queue for ages, reading the day's Minjup Shire Examiner in which I made my first appearance as Council Candidate ($80 for that, remember?).
They didn't open the bonnet until 14:15, took one look at the compliance plate and told me it was wrong.

This from a nice, smiling, genteel, smartly-uniformed man, full of his own authority.
Reminded me of Christoph Waltz (as Standartenführer Hans Landa) in Inglourious Basterds which I saw last week in pleasant company.
Herr Crotaline also noted that the tank cover needed a latch and it had to be covered on the sides as well as the top and the front.
He obviously knew all about gas and its possible uses.

Back down to Blyton then to see the installers.
No: they'd been told by Energy Safety WA that there were new compliance plates and that the one demanded by Herr Crotaline was now out of date.
And they'd never heard of a tank having to be covered on the sides.
But still they did it all, willingly, within an hour while I had what fun is to be had in Blyton on a Thursday afternoon.
I.e., none.

Now I guess I have to go back for a re-inspection.
No doubt Herr Crotaline will want another $60 for the trouble of re-persecuting me for doing something positive for the environment and (eventually) my bank account.
Will try to keep you posted and will stick a photo up here when it's light.
If you don't hear from me, try looking down an inspection pit somewhere south of the River for my viper-ravaged remains.

Where's Eli Roth ("The Bear Jew") when you need him?